Friday, October 16, 2015

10/16/15: I Am Relieved

Days of abstinence: 23
Days until surgery: 61
Weight:  165.0 pounds

I haven’t had a day off in who knows how long but I haven’t had to work super long days this week.  Long days, yes, but not ridiculous 14 hour long days.  That has helped a lot.  That means I can get up at 4 and get my workout in and still have time to eat a leisurely breakfast and blog for a few minutes. 

Mornings are my favorite time of day.  I like getting up early when the world is still quiet and having at least a couple of hours to myself before I go to work.  Do I have to get up at 4:00 in order to get in a workout and be at work at 7?  No, I don’t.  I could get up at 5:00 and rush around and get it all done, but that is not how I like to start my day.  I look at it this way, mornings are the only time of day that no one else can influence.  I wake up refreshed and in a good mood and for that two and a half hours I can do whatever I want, before work has had a chance to frustrate me or wear me out.  I particularly like blogging first thing in the morning because it has a way of straightening my thoughts out so that I can have a successful and productive day.

I talked to someone about my decision to never eat sugar again, yesterday.  We were walking out of the office together and he grabbed an Andes chocolate mint out of the candy bowl on his way out the door and made a comment about getting his “fix” for the day.  I said something about abstaining from sugar and he took it to mean that I was on a diet.  I told him that I meant forever because I have an addiction to sugar and we had a brief conversation about it.  It wasn’t a particularly deep or thought provoking conversation but it reinforced this thought that I have been having lately which is that not eating sugar ever again is not that big of a deal.

The funny thing is, if you go back a few weeks in these blog posts it was a HUGE deal to contemplate the idea that I could never eat sweets again.  Just a few weeks ago never eating sweet treats again seemed so unreasonable.  Now it seems so matter of fact.  I am stunned that this transformation happened so quickly.  I am kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Will I wake up one day and head straight to the store for a candy bar because I can’t take it anymore?   Am I unknowingly going to eat something with sugar in it after months or years of abstinence and have it trigger uncontrollable cravings?  Or now that I have accepted the fact that I am an addict and sugar is just plain bad for me, am I done with it forever? 

Who knows how many more decades I will live?  I certainly don’t, but I hope it is several.  If I assume I am going to live another 4, 5, or 6 decades, I am going to eat a lot of meals between now and the day I die.  I am not going to cook all those meals, we all know that.  It’s impossible.  There will be moments, either because of work or because we’re traveling or because we are socializing that I will eat food that someone else prepares.  There is no doubt in my mind that, on occasion, there will be sugar in my food that I am not aware of.   But in spite of the fact that I know that sugar or one of its substitutes, like maple syrup or honey, will sneak into my food now and then; I know that I will never choose to eat sugar or sweet treats ever again.  I am done with sweet treats, forever.  No candy, no cake, no cookies, no ice cream.  I don’t need it and I don’t want it.   Done.  Kapoot.

How do I feel about all this?  I can sum it up in three words.  I am relieved.  This phrase just popped into my head, “I have shaken the monkey off my back.”  That is exactly what it feels like.  It feels like this thing that was clinging onto me and burdening me and influencing me in ways that I could not control is gone.  It’s not there, anymore.  The weirdest part about all this is now that I am free of this “monkey” I have a hard time recalling why it was so difficult to shake it in the first place.  Why was it such a big deal?  What is it about sugar?  Why did I want to eat it every single day, multiple times a day?  Why was having a candy bar in the afternoon so damn important to me that I was willing to eat that candy in spite of everything else I was doing to keep myself healthy and to try to lose/maintain my weight?

Quitting sugar is not a panacea for losing/maintaining weight.  I know this.  It is evident in the fact that I have not lost much weight in the last couple of weeks, in spite of 23 days of abstinence.  It is still possible to eat too much, even if your diet is perfectly clean.  There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  Portion control is still incredibly important.  Exercise is still incredibly important.  Sleep is still incredibly important.  All of these things and more influence my ability to get to and maintain my ideal weight.  It’s not just about the sugar, but now that the sugar is gone, all of these other things are a little bit easier to manage.  Right this minute my biggest hurdle to overcome is the stress caused by my job.  But, really, the worst of it should be over in a few weeks.  I just need to focus and get the job done. 

By the way, I have been able to exercise more this week, since my work days haven’t been too long.  That makes me happy!!!  Yeah!!

Ok – to quote Hud, “I gotta go!”


Have a wonderful day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment