Sunday, October 4, 2015

10/4/15: Two Hour Bonus!

We had two kickball games scheduled today.  One at 12:30 and the other at 2:30.  I planned my day accordingly.  I put up a blog post this morning, made a nice breakfast and ate with Jack, cooked one of our meals for the week, did my work out, and was going to get ready to go when I checked Facebook.  There was a post saying the Gladiators had forfeited the first game of the day and that we didn’t need to arrive until the 2:30 game.  While it’s sad that we didn’t get to play, I’ve been so busy lately, that I was happy to have an unexpected two hour bonus.  When I was cooking this morning I discovered that I had forgotten to put ground beef on the shopping list, so Jack ran to the store and picked up my ground beef for me.  Then he headed to the fields in case everyone didn’t see the post (he is one of our team captains) and I used my bonus time to get two more of this week’s meals cooked.  I’ll fix the fourth and final one this afternoon after the game since it is a recipe that tastes best right when it comes out of the oven.  That is what we’ll have for dinner tonight.

The meals this week are:

Roasted chicken and vegetables (that’s the weekly staple)

Plantain Nachos – this is a delicious dish.  I make the nacho chips by tossing thinly sliced plantains in melted coconut oil, placing them on a baking sheet in a single layer, and baking them at 350 degrees for half an hour.  They are terrific.  The taco meat is a hamburger base with a great combination of onions, garlic, tomato paste, chicken stock and spices.  We eat the entire concoction like a taco salad with a bed of greens, a handful of plantain chips, and a nice scoop of taco meat.  We top it with homemade guacamole, chopped tomatoes, green onions, peppers from the garden, and whatever else we want.  It’s really pretty yummy.

Beef Stew

Oven Fried Chicken Legs (aka World’s Best Chicken), green beans (from the garden), and baked potatoes.

Over breakfast, after I warned Jack that I talked about him in my blog this morning, I asked Jack why he was uncomfortable with the idea of me abstaining from sugar for the rest of my life (see previous post).  I was expecting him to say that he was concerned that he would not be able to enjoy some of the things that he likes to eat, or that he would feel bad about eating them in front of me.  That is not what he said at all.  In fact, when I asked him about that he said he wasn’t worried about that because I had already assured him that that would not be an issue.   What concerned him was how I was going to feel later, after surgery and after I was healed, and after life got back to “normal.”  He was worried that I would feel bad about myself if we were at an event where sweet treats were being served and I couldn’t have any.  His concern was that I would find abstinence unbearable, and that made him sad.  I assured him that that would not be the case.  I know that there will be rough moments, there might even be moments when I say something silly like, “Why me?”  But I also know that 99% of the time I am going to be OK with this.  I appreciate his concern.  It’s all going to be OK.  That is one thing I know for certain.

For now, I need to put on my red KCBlueBalls Kickball shirt and go score some runs. 

Have a great afternoon!!


No comments:

Post a Comment