Tuesday, October 20, 2015

10/20/2015: Progress!

Days of abstinence: 27
Days until surgery: 57
Weight:  165.2 pounds

My progress is not on downward movement of my scale, but with the changes I said I would implement this week.  They are:
  1. Go back to my normal coffee consumption, which is 2 cups a day.
    • As soon as I read the article, Saturday, on how stress impacts weight loss and understood how increased caffeine consumption can cause an increase in the hormones that impede weight loss by further whacking out my biorhythms, I poured out the rest of my second pot of coffee and decided that I would no longer make pot number 2.   This isn’t a big deal, it’s not hard to only have a couple cups of coffee in the morning, but I had started relying on a 3rd of 4th cup to “get me through the morning.”  I’m fine with 2 cups.  I drink them in the morning with my breakfast and while I blog.  By the time I get to work I am done drinking coffee.  Success!
  2. Workout for an entire hour by adding a jog/walk to the end of my Black Fire routine.
    • Yesterday, this did not happen.  In fact, yesterday, I did not work out at all.  That is because I worked a 13.5 hour day on Sunday and did not get to bed Sunday night until well after 11.  But I went to bed at my normal time last night and was able to get out of bed at 4 this morning.  I did my Black Fire workout and then headed outside for a jog that turned out to be more of a 2 mile walk.  That’s OK.  I had a feeling that my body wouldn’t really want to run after the workout, but I got outside, jogged part of it, and increased my workout time to slightly over an hour.  This felt great!  And I now I have a goal which is to be able to jog the entire 2 miles after my workout.  This is quite attainable.  Success!
  3. Get the support I need at work from my bosses so that I don’t feel like I am carrying too much of the load on my own shoulders.
    •  I have spoken to two of my bosses about the need for support.  Both were quite understanding and even apologetic about not understanding sooner how the lack of support from them was impacting my ability to get my job done.  Even though I worked 13.5 hours on Sunday, so did the entire Board of Directors.  I was not there alone.  We ploughed through something that needed to be ploughed through, as a group.  I put the finishing touches on it yesterday morning, but as a group we got most of the work done, together.  Yesterday I worked a reasonable 9 hour workday and was home in time to cook the last of our meals for the week and eat dinner with Jack.  Success!


I feel good about the progress on all three fronts.  I’ll still work too much over the next couple of weeks, but I am trying to keep it all in perspective.  Reducing the stress I feel is very important to my overall health.  It really did feel good to get outside and jog/walk this morning.  The sky was beautiful.

I know yesterday’s post about the number of calories in the food at Jason’s Deli was silly.  I’ve known forever that the calorie count in food at most restaurants is ridiculously high.  I guess what surprised me more than anything is that the number of calories in the food didn’t even register to the people that were ordering the food.  When the menu popped up on the projector and they were choosing what they wanted to eat, the first thing I saw was the calories.  If I had to order from the menu I would have looked for the 3 or 4 things with the least number of calories that had a decent amount of protein in it and ordered that.  It has become such a habit to pay attention to how many calories that I consume that I just assume everyone does it, at least when it’s easy.  I always assumed that if restaurants posted the calories in their food people would naturally start picking healthier options.  But, if I use this very small sample size as evidence for the population as a whole, that is not the case.  The calories in the food they were consuming didn’t even phase them.  Knowing how many calories were in each item did not impact their choice at all.  I was genuinely surprised by this.  I guess I shouldn’t have been, but I was.  I must be totally indoctrinated into the habit of “watching what I eat,” because I now make the assumption that everyone does it, as least a little bit, at least when it’s easy.  Wrong. 

That’s it for today.  Running late, already.

Have a beautiful day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment