Wednesday, October 21, 2015

10/21/2015: How Long Will I Track “Days of Abstinence?”

Days of abstinence: 28
Days until surgery: 55
Weight:  165.2 pounds

A couple of times now I have thought about removing “Days of abstinence” from the numbers that I am tracking on a daily basis in this blog.  I think about removing this phrase because it almost seems unnecessary.  The decision I made 28 days ago to never eat sugar or sugar substitutes again seems to me to be incredibly solid.  I am not wavering, in the least bit, in my conviction to be sugar free for life.  Every day that I get further from having my last candy bar, the easier it is.  It seems so much like a non-thing that sometimes I think I don’t need to keep track of how long it’s been since I made the decision to never eat sugar again.  The key word in all of this is, “almost.”  There is something important about tracking this number because every time I go to delete, “Days of Abstinence: xx,” I stop short.  I don’t want it gone.  Maybe I will track it forever.  Maybe I will track it for a couple of months.  Maybe I will track it until after my recovery from surgery.  I don’t have any idea how long I will track this number, but for now, it is important for me to see this number every day.  In fact, this morning as I was eating my breakfast I was thinking to myself, “It won’t be long before you earn a 30 day chip.”  Of course, I won’t get a 30 day chip since I don’t participate in any 12 Step Programs, but I can and will give myself a mental 30 day chip.  That’s just as good!!

Everything else is fine.  Nothing much has changed in the last 24 hours.  I am still 100% On Program, which is great!!!  I am sure that has a lot to do with why I am not gaining weight while being too stressed out at work.  We are making progress at work and everything seems to be tracking as it should.  So that is good.  The weather is beautiful.  Fall in Kansas City is a lovely place to be.  All of the kids are doing well.  Steve called the other day, from Samoa.  He is so happy.  He said that he was, “Living the dream!”  We didn’t talk long, but it was good to hear from him and hear him so happy.  Carla is doing great.  She is getting ready to wrap up her season as an assistant manager at a boutique hotel in Nantucket.  In a few weeks we will get to see Andrew, Rebecca, Aaron, Emily, Brianna, Kyle and all eight of our grandchildren!  They are all coming to town for the BYU vs. MU football game at Arrowhead on November 14th.  We’ve rented a second house for the long weekend and the adults and their infants will stay there and we’re keeping the older grandkids at our house.  It is unfortunate that Scott, Emily’s husband, will not be able to come, but he is working as a nurse and going to school and there is no way he can be gone from home for several days.  It is going to be a blast to have everyone here for a few days.

I guess that’s it for now.  I need to get to work and start another ridiculously busy day.

Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment