Thursday, November 19, 2015

11/19/15: Getting Things Back to Normal

Days of abstinence: 57
Days until surgery: 25
Weight:  159.4 pounds

The kids left on Monday and you would think that would bring calm.  But, no, it’s a busy week, again.

I am the VP of our bowling league, and as such I am the chair of the audit committee and the prize fund committee.  I have delayed getting our first meetings called because of how busy I have been with work.  With my surgery quickly approaching, I knew I needed to get it done, so I scheduled the Audit Committee meeting for Tuesday evening and the Prize Fund Committee meeting for this evening.  I picked the league books up from the secretary last Wednesday and finally had time to start working on them after the kids left Monday evening.  So I spent a late night Monday, and early morning Tuesday, a late night Tuesday and another early morning Wednesday setting up a spreadsheet to track the ins and outs of the league account and combing through the books.  The good news is we have $23 too much!  Our secretary is very meticulous and tracks everything three different ways.  I do believe we have over collected in two instances so I gave the secretary my findings yesterday and will submit an audit report to the league next week.  It’s kind of nice to have a tidy little project like that to do!

This weekend I am taking a whirlwind trip up to Michigan to see my sister.  It will be nice to see Ruth, who, by the way, was just elected Mayor Protem of East Lansing.  I think that is so cool!  She said she is not interested in being Mayor permanently (or for a full term) because she doesn’t have time to be mayor.  Just the same, East Lansing is lucky to have such a smart and dedicated citizen as a city councilmember and Mayor Protem!

Food.  What do I have to say about food?  Not much, really.  After my slight transgression last weekend with a couple of ounces of cheese and a tiny bit of flour, which caused me two days of gut cramps and very loose stools, I am back to 100% Whole30 program foods.  That was enough to remind me that I really am sensitive to milk products and I should just stay away from them.  I don’t miss them at all, it was just easy to eat the snack that I had prepared for everyone else.  It’s good to have the reminder now and then, I guess. 

Food continues to regulate itself, now that I no longer eat sugar.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner.  That’s it.  No snacks.  Sometimes I think about eating between meals, usually it is when I am bored or frustrated with something.  I’ll think about eating something, look at the clock, see it is not time to eat, take a big drink of water, take a short walk through the office to fill my water glass and use the restroom, and then get back to work.  In those moments I am not hungry, nor am I having a craving.  I just think about eating to take my mind off of whatever is aggravating me at the moment.  The thought of food passes quickly and before I know it it’s time to eat my next meal.

I still feel like making the decision to quit sugar has been the single most important and impactful dietary decision I have ever made in my life.  I’m 57 days sugar free and I have never struggled less with food decisions.  In fact, I don’t struggle with food decisions at all anymore.  This is pretty awesome.

I guess I better get going.  There is work to do today.

Have a beautiful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment