Friday, November 27, 2015

11/27/15: Surgery – It’s What I Think About All Day, Now

Days of abstinence: 65
Days until surgery: 17!!!!
Weight:  157.0 pounds

It sure is fun to get up in the morning and see a drop in the scale!!  I weighed 157 pounds this morning!!  Yeah!!  In my 65 days of abstinence I have lost 12.8 pounds.  It hasn’t been a rapid weight loss, by any measurement, but it has been steady.  I am getting close enough to my goal weight that I am content with my progress.  I’d be comfortable going into surgery today, at this weight.  I’ll probably lose another pound or two, though, which would be great, but I feel pretty good about my weight, today.  My boobs are getting to the stage where they don’t feel very heavy when I lift them and they don’t ache when I take off my bra at the end of the day.  I think when the breast lift is done they will be a nice size.  I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to having smaller breasts.  I can’t decide what I am looking forward to more, a flat tummy or firm, smaller breasts.  The prospect of both is so exciting.  I guess that is why I am having both procedures done, instead of only one or the other. 

The closer the surgery date gets, the more I am thinking about it.  I am nervous, who wouldn’t be?  I’m excited.  Who wouldn’t be?  Jack is very supportive.  His biggest concern, other than for my health and well-being, is he’s worried about being a good care-giver after the surgery.  He’s also worried that I am going to go stir crazy when I am home recuperating for 3 weeks.  Actually, I’m not sure which he is more worried about, the risks of the actual surgery or the risk of me being bored out of my mind.  He keeps saying, “I don’t know how we are going to keep you entertained for 3 weeks.  There is only so much TV, puzzles, reading, etc., you can do before you’ll go nuts.”  I tell him I’m going to be drugged up for part of that time and not to worry so much about my boredom, but he may have a point.  My mind does start racing when I’m bored.  There’s no telling what schemes I will think up during my convalescence.  I guess he has reason to be worried, now that I think about it.  I don’t do bored very well.  In general, I sit still only when I am tired.  I probably will get ants in my pants about half way through my 3 weeks off.

When it comes to sitting still, I have come to the conclusion that following doctor’s orders about the exact right amount of movement after surgery is critically important.  I’ve been following several women that have had this surgery and those that feel great afterwards and try to do too much are the ones that have their drains in the longest and have the most difficulties after about 2 weeks.  The ones that are in a lot of pain afterwards and therefore limit their movement to going to the rest room and taking a short walk around the house, get their drains out the fastest and have the least complications at 2 weeks.  Being careful about movement will impact how quickly my skin re-adheres to my abdominal muscles and how quickly and neatly my incisions heal.  You can count on the fact that I will follow doctor’s orders to the letter.  I am lucky that I don’t have any kids at homes.  A lot of women are doing this surgery with little ones at home.  That would be rough.  I don’t have to take care of anyone but Jack, and for three weeks, he is going to be taking care of me. 

I’m starting to get excited about buying some new clothes.  When I look at outfits that I think are cute I no longer judge whether or not they will hide my breasts or bulges in my tummy sufficiently.  I know my “look” will change after surgery.  I have always been drawn to clothes that are a little more playful or colorful rather than run-of-the-mill, but I’ve been limited as to where I can shop and what I can wear because I’ve been so over-weight and since my weight loss I’ve had so many bulges in all the wrong places.  I am looking forward to letting my creative side out with my wardrobe.  The older I get, the more liberties I feel I can take with my wardrobe.  I mean, who cares what a 53 year old grandmamma wears, anyway?  No one.  I can feel my playful side getting ready to come out, when it comes to clothes.  This is going to be fun! 

If you are an astute follower of this blog, you’ll have made the observation that I haven’t been exercising regularly enough.  This is because of the ridiculous, whacked out schedule that I have been living.  First it was way too much work, then the kids were here, then I was getting up at 4:00AM to get caught up on all of the things I have neglected.  Finally, everything feels normal again.  I will exercise every single day from now until surgery.  After surgery, I won’t be able to do anything for 6 weeks.  That is going to be rough.  I will add exercise to my daily heading in order to keep myself accountable.

I guess that’s it for now.  Thanks for listening.

Have a beautiful day!




No comments:

Post a Comment