Thursday, November 5, 2015

11/5/15: I’m Switching Surgeons, Again

Days of abstinence: 43
Days until surgery: 41 (or so) 
Weight:  161.4 pounds (and here we are, on another plateau)

My food program is continuing to be easy to follow.  I am not having any issues with eating too much, eating too often, or eating off program foods.  This sure is nice.

I got all of my filing caught up!  Now all of the projects that I have put off around the house are done and the only remaining tasks to do to prepare for the kids’ visit is cleaning and cooking.  Jack and I should be able to get all of that done this weekend without any problem.  It feels great to have the bedrooms and closets cleaned out and organized, all of the pictures re-hung, and all the filing done.  I’m not tripping over stuff all the time.  It makes me wonder why I didn’t get it done a long time ago.  Sometimes I am a victim of my own procrastination.

I had a second consultation with Dr. Keith Hodge of Overland Park, KS, yesterday.  He was recommended to me by a plastic surgeon who retired this spring.  I was impressed by Dr. Hodge the first time I met him, but he had the unfortunate luck of being the first surgeon that I talked to.  As such, I wasn’t quite as prepared to make a decision when I met with him as I was later in the process.  I am currently scheduled to have the procedure done with Dr. John Michael Quinn.  Both Dr. Hodge and Dr. Quinn are very well regarded plastic surgeons in the metro area.  The reason I am reconsidering my choice is because of comments a couple of women have made about Dr. Quinn’s after surgery care.  Basically, both of these women stated that he was dismissive of their concerns about their results.  When I met with Dr. Hodge and his assistant yesterday we talked a lot about exactly what I could expect from my results and what Dr. Hodge’s practice was after surgery.  By the time I got done talking with them I became much more comfortable with the decision to have Dr. Hodge do my surgery.  Kimber, Dr. Hodge’s assistant, said that I should be able to have the procedure done the same week that I am now scheduled, but we don’t have the exact date yet. 

This is the second time I’ve switched surgeons since I have made the decision to have this surgery done.  I am a little frustrated with myself for second guessing myself, but at the same time, I want to be 100% comfortable with my choice of surgeon.  It turns out that is more easily said than done.  This surgery is a big deal.  It’s permanent.  It’s not like I can return it after purchase if I am not happy with what I bought.  Maybe it’s natural that I keep second guessing myself.   I’ll post the exact date of surgery once we get the surgery booked.   I am looking forward to the surgery being done and over with, being recovered, and moving on to the next stage of my program.  I haven’t thought about this before, but I think the surgery and my recovery afterwards will be the end of Stage 2.  Stage 1 was the initial weight loss of 70+ pounds in 2011.  Stage 2 was settling into a routine of keeping my weight at least relative close to my goal weight, exercising regularly, and establishing what my rest-of-my-life eating program is going to be.  One of the things I have been incredibly uncomfortable with since I lost this weight is all of the extra skin that I have since losing this weight.  It will soon be gone.  Once I have recovered from that I will begin Stage 3, which should last the rest of my life.  Stage 3 will be all about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, day-in and day-out.

Here’s to having another beautiful day!   


No comments:

Post a Comment