Sunday, November 22, 2015

11/22/15: Stuck on a runway in KC

 I'm taking a quick trip to Michigan to see my sister and we're stuck on the runway in KC waiting for a gate in Chicago. Fun times. I've packed my lunch. I wasn't planning on eating it on the plane, but maybe I will.

All is well. Food program is strong.

I am considering the impact of other addictive substances that I use. There are two:  coffee and alcohol.

Coffee:  I currently consume about 2 cups of strong, black coffee a day. I drink it in the morning with my breakfast. I don't believe there are any health reasons to quit drinking coffee. In fact, the most recent study released shows increased life spans for coffee drinkers that drink moderate amounts of coffee. It may not be the coffee, mind you. The study said it may be the fact that coffee drinkers take the time in the morning to relax and drink their coffee. This rings true to me. My morning routine includes about a half hour of just sitting and reading and drinking coffee. Anyway, I've read study after study after study about coffee consumption and there seems to be no negative health impact on moderate coffee consumption. Therefore, I don't need to give it up to be healthier.

Should I give it up just because I'm addicted to it?  I won't deny that caffeine is an addictive substance. If I don't drink coffee in the morning I will get a headache mid-afternoon and I may get a bit cranky. That lasts about 3 days, then the headache and crankiness are gone. This indicates a physical addiction. That said, I have no desire to drink more coffee. It is very easy to limit myself to two cups. In fact, I often don't finish the second cup. Unlike sugar, one cup does not lead to overconsumption. Coffee does not have a grip on my life. Bottom line:  I don't think coffee harms me in anyway and I don't think it is a dangerous substance for me. I see no reason to stop enjoying it.

Alcohol:  I have not had any alcohol for 2 months. I don't plan on having any alcohol until I am fully recovered from surgery. What I am seriously contemplating is deciding that alcohol should be on my banned substance list, not because I am addicted to it, but because it is basically a sugar.

I have overconsumed alcohol in the past, but I can and I do enjoy having one or two glasses of wine. In the past I've opened a bottle of wine to enjoy a glass or two and ended up tossing the rest of the bottle out a week later because I never finished it. I don't have an addiction to alcohol and I am not afraid of developing one. What I am afraid of, what I am terrified of, is that a glass of wine will trigger my sugar addiction. I enjoy wine, but not enough to risk losing my freedom. My guess is that alcohol is going to become a never again thing for me, but I don't need to make that decision yet.

I'm quickly using up my phone battery and I'm going to need it for my trip, so I better sign off.

Have a beautiful day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment