Thursday, October 11, 2012

10/11/12: Not Much to Say Today

The problem with blogging everyday is that sometimes you just don't have much to say...like today. But it is helpful for me to check in on a daily basis, so I do. August's 30 day plan got me into that habit and it looks like it stuck.

Morning weight: 168.0. - at least I'm consistent!
Yesterday's calories: 1515
Exercise: I am taking my break. I am not exercising today or tomorrow to give my body a chance to rest and recuperate.

Yesterday, with my new trainer, we did the following exercises:
--2 sets of step-ups onto knee high stool with 15lb dumbbells in each hand. Each set was 16 reps, alternating legs.
--2 sets of push-ups with hands resting on the bosu (that's the half round ball with the platform on one side). Each set was 12 pushups. I did the first eight of each set from my toes! For The remainder of each set I lowered myself on my toes and got on my knees to push back up.
--3 sets seated cable rows, 12 each set, 30lbs. This was with a cable machine. I walked backward from the machine holding the cable handles, then lowered into a squat position, held the squat position and did cable pulls from there.
--2 sets of kettle ball swings with 20lb kettle ball. 15 reps each
--2 sets of angled lunges to biceps curls, 12 lb dumbbells in each hand, 10 reps each leg per set.
--2 sets of dumbbell kickbacks, 5lb weights in each hand. This is a tricep exercise.

I'm still tired and blah. Mostly I am feeling a little too stressed. There is a lot to do at my new job and it feels like a mountain that needs to be climbed with no guide or map on how to get there. I know what I need to do. I need to go in every day and get done what I can get done, then go home and rest, and go back the next day and do some more. Eventually it will work itself out. It just takes time, but it is stressful to me when I don't have the answers. I think that is weighing on me and will weigh on me for a while. Huh, isn't that interesting? The expression, "Weighs on me," is how we describe the feeling of stress and it really does make me weigh more.

This is another first, by the way, transitioning through this new job stress without over eating and giving up on my exercise. It's interesting that the stress alone, without changing anything else, has caused me to be a little heavier. To me, it is a vivid reminder that too much stress isn't good for us. I'll work through this...it's just going to take a year or so. It's a good thing I'm taking care of myself!

Have a great day!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to rest when you have a plan. You need to rest, though. If you think about it globally, exercise is stress and stress is stress. It is easy to get burned out when you exercise and have excess stress. As long as you eat only healthy foods and don't drink booze on rest days, taking two or even three days off in a row when life stress accumulates won't hurt you. As Cathy said, this last two months has been crazy for you. Time off will keep you from getting sick and injured. It is very hard to keep working out through sickness and injury.
    I never did tell you how impressed I was with the 6.4 mile run last Saturday. You didn't even breathe hard until the last hill. You have turned into an athlete. Don't worry about sliding into your old habits. I will just come down there and chase you around that loop if I have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth!! The image of you chasing me around the loop is all I need to keep myself on track!! It feels good to be strong and fit. I won't let a couple of days of rest set the stage for slipping into laziness. I am already looking forward to riding bikes with Carla tomorrow, if it doesn't rain!

      Delete