Tuesday, October 16, 2012

10/16/2012: What is Normal, Anyway?

It seems like sooner or later things will have to, "Get back to normal," but I am not sure what that means anymore.  There's always something going on around here, that's a fact.  Drew heads out today around noon and then it will be just the three of us again for a couple of weeks.  After that I go back to China for a week while Jack goes to Utah to visit the kids and grandchildren.  It looks like November and December will be relatively quiet months for us; unless someone has a surprise up their sleeve it'll be just Jack and me for Thanksgiving.  Carla leaves for her winter job mid-November and as far as we know we won't be having any other visitors until Steven, Elizabeth, and Ellia come to visit for Christmas.  Jack and I are both really looking forward to their visit and are glad that we will get to spend some time with our newest family members.

Last night we had dinner at home with Carla and Drew and I ate too much.  Not a lot too much, but too much just the same.  We had spaghetti, garlic bread and a salad.  The biggest mistake was eating some garlic bread and taking a larger helping of pasta than I normally do.  Again, it wasn't a huge amount of food, I wasn't full when I was done eating, but I did see it on the scale this morning.  In addition to eating more than normal, we ate later than normal.  I really do need to keep my evening meals small and eat them early.

It's interesting that I like my job as much as I do, considering how stressful it is.  I was very calm and peaceful when I left for work yesterday morning and by noon I was completely stressed out.  The stress is caused by the fact that I am working on things that are very significant and very important to the company and yet they are things that I have never done before.  I am soliciting help from sources that I am confident are dependable but it is brand new territory for me and it makes me anxious.  On the other hand, it is exciting and new and different and I am learning something every day.  It will be nice when the really new and really hard stuff is behind me so that I don't get so stressed on a regular basis.  Until then, I need to rely on my calorie counting to limit my food intake.  I am sure the stress from yesterday's work combined with a table full of food and company were just the wrong combination last night.  Ah well...there is always tomorrow.

This morning's weight: 167.4
This morning's exercise:  112 floors on the stairmaster (24 minutes, level 8), 1500 minutes on the rowing machine (8 minutes, also up one level of difficulty), 2500 strides on the elliptical (22 minutes, level 7), 10 minutes of ab work (planks, crunches, leg lifts, sit-ups, etc...).
Yesterday evening's exercise:  30 minute, 2 mile walk with Jack.  Lovely!!
Yesterdays calories consumed:  1758 (damned bread and pasta!!)

I plan on swimming this evening.  I like the routine of exercising hard in the mornings for an hour and doing a half hour of lighter exercise in the evening.  That little bit of exercise in the evening refreshes me and calms me down.  It is the perfect antidote for wiping out the stress from my work day.  Swimming is particularly calming for me.  It's good medicine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment