Monday, October 8, 2012

10/8/2012: It's All Catching Up to Me

OK, I think it is all finally catching up with me.  And what I mean by "all" is the following happening all within the last two weeks:  getting a text while on vacation to find out that I am going to China 4 days after we get home from vacation, pushing my visa application through the Chinese Consulate and stressing about whether or not I would get it in time (it was hand delivered to my house Friday night at about 11:00, eleven hours before my flight was scheduled to leave Saturday morning), going on a whirlwind trip to China on which we spent almost as much time traveling as we did on the ground and during which we had a couple of very tough meetings, getting home and back to my new job where I had to start figuring out what I really do for a living, preparing for family to visit which meant spending our evenings cleaning house, Carla coming home from her summer job on the ranch, my dad, his wife, and my sister coming to visit for the weekend, and visiting my elderly aunt, Sister Mary Loretta, at the Mother House in Leavenworth this weekend.  I pushed through all of this in pretty good form and stayed in a pretty good mood and did fine with my food and exercise, but yesterday, after everyone left (except Carla, of course) I was just plain tired.  I felt achy and sick and didn't feel like doing anything.  So I didn't.  For a while.  I just laid on the couch, worked a crossword, watched a little mindless television, and pretty much decided to be lazy for a day.  My head was feeling kind of hazy and cloudy though, and I knew it would be best to get out of the house for a little while, so Jack and I went bowling and picked up a few things that we needed.  I did manage to bowl 3 games over 150, so that was good!  In fact, (I'll probably jinx myself by saying this, but I'm saying it anyway) I think I may have figured some things out that will improve my bowling and make it more consistent.  I must be a pretty pathetic looking bowler, because it seems like every time Jack and I practice bowling on the weekend strangers come up to us and offer me advice on how to bowl.  Last weekend, I actually got a lot of advice from two different people.  The first man that "helped" was a stranger and didn't help much.  The second man that stepped up to help was the person that runs the pro shop at the bowling alley, he was the one that had sold us our balls and drilled them for us.  He's a really nice guy and had some very helpful advice.  So far, it has helped a lot.  I hope I continue to bowl well on Wednesday for league bowling.  I'm sure my teammates would appreciate it!

What I didn't do yesterday was exercise.  I just felt too tired and drained.  Yesterday was the first day in months that I can remember just skipping the exercise, even though I had the time to do it.  I felt worn out and run down and just wanted to rest.  So I rested.  I think that is OK, as long as it doesn't become a habit.  I got up this morning and went to the gym, just like normal, so that's good.  I really think I just needed a 24 hour break.

Saturday's exercise:  6.4 mile run with Carla and Ruth.  Took about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Sunday's exercise:  None - unless you want to count bowling 4.5 games
Monday's exercise:  Strength training:  This week's strength training is a pyramid.  You do one exercise.  Then you do that exercise and add another one.  Then you do those two exercises and add another one, and so on until you get to the last exercise and work your way down.  The exercises are:
1. ---Walk up and back down the stairs carrying a 35 pound weight
2. ------Do 1. and add a Wall sit while doing 16 bicep curls with 10 lb dumbbells
3. ---------Do 1. and 2. and add a 30 second plank
4. ------------Do 1., 2., and 3. and add lunge to balance, with 10lb dumbbells in each hand, 12 each foot
5. ---------------Do 1., 2., 3., and 4. and add 20 supine toe touches, holding a 10 pound dumbbell
6. ------------------Do 1., 2., 3., 4., and 5. and add 16 burpees, holding a 10 pound ball with handles
7. ---------------Do 1., 2., 3., 4., and 5
8. ------------Do 1., 2., 3., and 4
9. ---------Do 1., 2., and 3
10.------Do 1., and 2
11.---Do 1

Friday's Calories:  1570
Saturday's Calories:  1547
Sunday's Calories:  1556

Today's weight:  166.6 pounds.

I was so out of it yesterday that I forgot to take my Sunday picture.  Just plain forgot.  I didn't avoid it on purpose, or procrastinate until it was too late or anything like that.  I just forgot about it.  I'll have to take a picture this week to post and to paste on my chart.  Yesterday was just not a great day.  I guess we all have days like that from time to time, but today I'm picking myself back up, brushing off the dust that accumulated yesterday, and getting back at it!!

Here's to Monday mornings!!  I hope you have a wonderful day!!

3 comments:

  1. We should have talked about burnout while I was visiting. Every athlete has to take days off when she starts to feel the way you feel now. (It is hard for me since I use exercise as an antidepressant which means I have to choose to be depressed to avoid getting depressed from burnout.)
    At this point you should take two days in a row off from exercise. Keep eating well, but let your body rest and recover. In the future, take two days off when you start to feel this way. This will not hurt your fitness. It actually helps because it prevents the other result of burnout ~ injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say makes sense but I am so worried about "falling off the wagon" that I couldn't let myself take another day off this morning. I could have taken today off pretty easily, too. I had to force myself out of be this morning but I thought it was important to get back in the routine. I work with my new trainer for the first time on Wednesday, so it will be a few days before I can take back to back days off. Thursday is my normal day off. I'll see how I'm feeling then. If I'm still feeling burnt out, I'll take Thursday and Friday off. If I am more energized by then I'll wait until I feel the need for a break and take two days off in a row.

      Delete