Tuesday, October 9, 2012

10/9/2012: Still Tired...and Heavier...

I was tired again yesterday, but I got up anyway and went to the gym for my strength training day.  After I blogged about feeling like it was all catching up with me my sister left a comment on my blog about burnout.  She said that all athletes suffer from burnout now and then and that it is important to take a couple of days off in a row to rejuvenate and avoid injury.  I, on the other hand, am so paranoid of slipping into old habits of not exercising and eating too much that I forced myself out of bed yesterday morning to go to the gym in spite of feeling, way down deep in my bones, that I just wanted to rest for another day.  On Sunday I listened to my body and rested, on Monday I ignored it and exercised.  Today was my scheduled cardio day and tomorrow I have my first session with my new trainer, so since I couldn't take two days off in a row right now, I did go to the gym this morning in spite of still feeling tired.  Thursday is my normal day off.  If I am not feeling back to normal by then, I'll plan on taking Thursday and Friday off from exercise in order to rest and rejuvenate.  Maybe I am a little bit sick...I don't feel good, but nothing in particular hurts or aches and I don't have any symptoms other than general malaise.  I think I'm just tired after strong-arming my way through the last couple of weeks. 

In spite of a jam-packed couple of weeks I have been diligent about sticking to my diet and exercise routines.  I was rewarded for that diligence when I recovered from my China trip weight gain in a couple of days and steadily lost a couple of pounds after that.  Now I am somewhat disheartened by an unexpected weight gain.  This morning I weighed 168.0 pounds.  I don't feel or look bloated, in fact my clothes are loose.  I don't know where that 1.6 pounds is or why it's here, but I was heavier this morning.  I am glad I don't have to mark my chart until Thursday.  I hope it is gone by then.  I'm sure it's temporary, it has to be, right?  As my sister-in-law, Cathy, mentioned in a previous comment, I would have to consume an extra 4800 calories to gain a pound and a half of fat.  I know that didn't happen.  I'm sure it will correct itself if I keep doing what I've been doing, but it's a little frustrating, just the same.  Some times you just have to plug away, even when it's not fun and when you don't get the exact results that you're looking for.  This week seems to be one of those plug-away weeks.  Maybe working out with my new trainer tomorrow will bring a change in the winds.  That would be nice. 

This morning's weight:  168.0
Yesterday evening's exercise:  None - just laid on the couch, watched the Oriole's for a few innings (Go O's!!!!), and went to bed at 8:30.
This morning's exercise:  102 floors on stairmaster (24 minutes - kicked it up to level 8 for the last few minutes.  Level 7 is getting a little too easy, next time I will move it to level 8 after 12 minutes and see how that goes.), 1500 meters on row machine (about 8 minutes), 2500 strides on elliptical (20 minutes).
Yesterday's calories:  1523

7 comments:

  1. Please entertain a radical suggestion from a California hippie - kill your scale, or at least relegate it to monthly if not quarterly use. Review your last few weeks: you saw your son married, changed jobs, traveled to China and back, hosted a family gathering, went running with Ruth (egad ;) and managed to stay on your self-care program, and stay healthy, throughout all this - and yet that clanking contraption is causing you disappointment and frustration? The scale is seductive because it yields numbers, which are specific and precise but not necessarily true. Look at your body and listen to real metrics of improved health and strength, like level 7 getting "a little too easy" and your clothes are loose. You're doing fantastic and don't be tyrannized into thinking anything different! Ask your Dad how many of the women in his generation ever even saw the shady side of 50, let alone enjoyed the robust good health and beauty you're enjoying. Keep caring for your body out of love, and be grateful for the actual important rewards that it brings - what is truly important is not always numerically quantifiable. PS if this idea doesn't work for you, try standing on one foot on the scale or placing your feet on the very outside edges - you can get to numbers you're happier with, but they don't mean much either ;) Love C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I appreciate your advice and agree completely that I should not let unexpected fluctuations on the scale affect my mood. On the other hand, weighing myself is one of the many ways that I stay on track. I think it is very important to focus on my health, how I feel, my exercise, how my clothes fit, etc... but getting on the scale every day is an important measure for me, too. I can't let it be the measure, or even the most important measure, it is one of many and needs to be treated as such. About 80% of the time the scale doesn't surprise me and when it does surprise me it's about 50/50 whether it surprises me with a number lower than I expected or higher than I expected. The scale is one of the tools that I use to stay on track and it helps me more than it hurts me. When I don't weigh myself regularly I find that it is much more difficult to be consistently disciplined about food. Perhaps if I get more "in tune" with my body and can respond to natural hunger signals and stop wanting to eat in response to changes in my mood, the scale will become less important to me. Your advice is spot on, though; I can't let the scale be a source of frustration when I am doing so many things right. It seems like it would make more sense if it was a point of interest. It would be a lot healthier to say, "That's interesting, I gained a pound today." And make a note of that. It is fascinating to me that I am heavier when I am feeling very stressed than when I am relaxed, even when I feel like I am doing everything else the same. The human body is interesting. I like paying attention to it.

      So, I will keep weighing myself. I feel like telling myself that I don't need to weigh myself regularly is a lot like an alcolohic telling herself she can have just one drink. It's the same sort of slippery slope. But I will work hard on relinquishing the power that the number has over me, and treat it as one piece of data in the overall scheme of things.

      Thank you so much for your thoughts!

      Roberta

      Delete
  2. At my WW meeting last Wednesday, I was all excited because after feeling more svelt I was able to zip up a backless black velvet dress that I have been able to wear - literally - two days in about 8 years (the day I bought it, after a diet, and another day 2 years ago when I reached a low weight). Well, I zipped it up. So here I was telling the WW scale lady how she was going to so proud of me, and it was UP 1.6 lbs. My "skinny clothes" still fit, so I am guessing the scale is not the only measure. You said you don't fell bigger, so you probably aren't. You can lose inches (or keep inches off) and still gain weight, especially with a good exercise routine. Don't be discouraged! You have not lost progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I am not discouraged. I am excited about my fitness goals and all of the progress that I have made and will continue to make. The scale is just one of many measures, and as I said in response to Cathy's comment, I will work harder to treat it as such. Good for you, getting into that back dress!! Doesn't that feel good? I am wearing my smallest (size 10) slacks and they have a little room in them. They have never had room in them. My closet is almost empty and there is nothing in it that is too small. Most of the clothes left in my closet are a little too big, and they are my smallest clothes. When I get to goal, we're going SHOPPING!!!! It'll be fun!!!

      I'm glad WW is working for you. I have friends that have a lot of success with it. I look forward to hearing more about your successes!

      Delete
  3. Malaise and lack of motivation with no specific cause, other than a ridiculous previous month, is burnout. Take a break. Or, it could be the 5 days we spent at the motherhouse on Sunday afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at least 5 days, wasn't it? I am glad Sister was doing OK, though. Next time you can stay here as long as you want, but you may be going to the Mother House by yourself. That way you can stay for dinner and have a chance to visit...

      I am taking tomorrow and Friday off. Feels a little weird, but I respect your advice and think you are probably right about the burnout. I talked to my new trainer about it today, and he thought you were spot on with your assessment.

      He's excited about me doing my first tri this summer. He does a lot of marathons (did Chicago last weekend), half marathons, and tris. He said he has a lot of great workouts for tris that we'll start when we get closer to summer. It'll be interesting to see what he's got.

      Thanks for everything, Ruth. Your support, encouragement, and advice means a lot to me!!

      Delete
  4. Wanna lose that 1.6 gain? One word: Enema.

    Nicholas

    ReplyDelete