Monday, October 1, 2012

10/1/2012: Old Routine Feels Pretty Good

I've been home for a few days, after a two week vacation (which was awesome) and a whirlwind trip to China, and it feels good to be back into the routine of normal life. Even though I managed to maintain a decent workout schedule while in China, it's good to be home where I have control over when and what I am eating and I can go to my own gym where I am familiar with all of the equipment.  This morning I weighed 168.2 pounds.  I am still above my trend line (about two pounds) but I am losing weight at my normal rate again.  I think I will accept the fact that between the vacation and the China trip I lost a little momentum and I will remain above my trend line until I reach goal.  I have drawn my new goal line on my graph, starting with today's weight and reaching 150lbs on December 31st.  My expectation is that I will stay more or less between my trend line and my new goal line until I reach goal.

In yesterday's post I neglected to mention calories consumed on Saturday, so I'll do it now.  Saturday I ate 1570 calories and yesterday I ate1547 calories.  Yesterday I swam 90 laps (2,250 meters) in about 55 minutes.  That's 750 meters more than I will need to do for the triathlon, but I think it will be helpful to train much further than the 1500 meters required, since swimming is the first sport in the event.  That way, if my body is used to swimming much more than 1500 meters, it won't get too wiped out from the swim and I'll have something left for the bike ride and the run.  That's my plan, anyway!  Between Saturday's 6.4 mile run and yesterday's 2,250 meter swim, I am a little stiff and sore this morning, but I am thankful that nothing hurts. 

This morning's exercise was strength training.  Here is this week's routine:

**Repeat 4 Times**
----16 Dyno Ball(20 lb) curl, press, and throws:  Squat, pick up 20lb Dyno Ball (resembles a big, soft medicine ball) while in squat position, curl arms, stand up, press Dyno Ball above your head, then throw the ball as high as you can, letting it land in front of you.  Repeat 16 times
----45 seconds Dyno Mountain Climbers:  Get in plank position with hands resting on Dyno Ball instead of the floor, do mountain climbers (sort of like running in place while in the plank position) for 45 seconds.

**Repeat 4 Times**
----16 Shoulder Presses (30lb):  This exercise is done on a machine.  Traditional shoulder presses.
----12 Lat Raises (20lb):  Hold two 10lb plates in both hands at the same time.  Start with arms lowered, raise weights, with arms straight in front of you until arms are parralel with the floor.  Lower and repeat 12 times.

**Repeat 4 Times**
----20 Walking Lunges (15lb dumbbell in each hand)
----16 Dips:  Place the dumbbells used for the lunges on the floor, on their ends about shoulder with apart.  Place hands on dumbbells with feet in front of you and but towards the floor.  Lower yourself almost to the ground, exercising the tricep.  Repeat 16 times.

**Repeat 4 Times**
----20 Step Ups:  Alternating feet, step up onto stool that is approximately knee high.  Repeat 20 times
----16 Deadlifts:  With 15lb dumbbells in each hand, stand straight up with arms hanging in front of you.  Bend at waist, with back straight and head up, and lower dumbbells until back is parellel with floor.  Stand up slowly.  Repeat 16 times.

Fall is here, it's October already!!  I need to get back out on my bike several more times before it gets too cold and nasty to ride.  I wanted to ride yesterday, but my morning was consumed with other things and I don't like riding in the afternoon because of all of the traffic.  Next weekend will be busy with family visiting, so it will probably be two weeks before I can get back on my bike.  No excuses the weekend after next, I will go for a bike ride, no matter what else is going on (unless it's cold and raining, that is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment